Sunday, December 04, 2005

The General in The Military Today (w/o Chapters 10 and 13)


Even though academics seemed determined to ignore this books, it seems the United States military is not. I found a course syllabus from last year: NATIONAL SECURITY DESCISION MAKING STUDY, from the United States Naval War college, which seems to be a course designed to instruct officers on exactly what the title suggests. What is the only fiction book on the reading list? Why it is "The General" by C.S. Forester.

This is what the syllabus had to say as to why the book was included:
The case study for this session describes a British Army officer’s rapid ascent from a relatively junior officer to one of the more senior leaders during World War I. The General by C.S. Forester is a work of fiction, but is based upon the author’s observations of actual British military leaders. In fact, the protagonist General Curzon is thought to represent a composite portrait of Generals French and Haig who were widely criticized well after the war by their contemporaries and historians for their unimaginative leadership in the trench warfare that characterized the Western Front in World War I. There are several themes that will be addressed in the seminar discussions of this case study. One is the changing nature of the protagonist’s responsibilities as he rose to a strategic leadership position. Another is the wisdom of the general’s instinctive reliance—even after he had arrived at the most senior levels—upon the same decision making and implementation skills that brought him success in the early stages of his military career.

However, being that it is the United States Military, the book could only be included with the following disclaimer:

Notes on The General: Curzon sometimes expresses racial stereotypes and
uses terms that are offensive and clearly not endorsed by the Naval War College. Specifically, such terms are found in Chapter 10 and Chapter 13 in the edition of The General issued to students. Students may omit pages 95 and 130 from the required reading. Those who choose to do so will not find the value of the book or this session diminished.

Source:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:590zJAqM540J:www.nwc.navy.mil/nsdm/NSDM%2520CNC%26S%2520
Spring%252005%2520all.pdf+Curzon+AND+Forester&hl=en

2 Comments:

Blogger K. Larson said...

I think that even when he did get writen up in papers like the NYT, and the literary journals, it seemed because his commercial success demanded it. He was to popular to be completely ignored. But even in these accknowledgements there seems to be condescension on the parts of the reviewers towards the actual importance or quality of his work. I honestly think that it was his sales that kept him in the papers, but since he is no longer arround to produce more boooks, the literary world no longer feels obliged to acknowledge him. Where do I see proof that he is making a comeback? In the blogosphere. When you do a google search on Forester and this book, many many entries are reviews or entires on top ten lists on peoples blogs. The most recent one I saw was on a website devoted to fans of Harry Potter, in a section where fans post book suggestions. It seemed incredibly appropriate to find this review/synopsis on this site (although it was poorly done), as J.K. Rowling certainly suffers from many of the consequences of mass appeal that Forester has been forced to endure.

11:12 PM  
Blogger K. Larson said...

I just re-read chapter's 10 and 13. LOL!!!! I thought there might have been some racial slurs, but no the objection must be towards some sort of percieved misogyny or perversion. I guess they don't wan't young officers to discuss what Curzon could have possibly done with Cissie Barnes! (Americans are so frightened by sex).

1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home