Sunday, November 27, 2005

A question for the group: Curzon's most intense feeling....

In her post, Maja contends that the most intense feeling Curzon has is the horror he feels at the prospect of the breakdown of the 91st divsion. I was wonder what everyone else feels is the passage that for them shows Curzon's most intense feeling. I think this would be an interesting exercise considering what seems to be the collective view on his capacity to feel.

As for me, I am going to have to go with my beloved page 260 and his "vivid flash of imagination". Why? Because, for me his is one of the only passages where the emotions seems to be authentically his. It is an awakening: "HE would return to England a defeated general, one of the men who let England down." One of the qualities that seperates man from beast is the ability to reflect upon themselves. For me, this paragraph represents Curzons most intense feelings because they are the only real feelings about himself that he ever expresses. Unlike other feelings of panic or frustration he has, these feelings do not seems to be clouded by axioms.To further see evidence of the intensity of these feelings, one only has to look at there impact: "It was a long time before he was sure enough of this solid world to put out his hand to her"(p263).

PS: please include page numbers if you can

1 Comments:

Blogger K. Larson said...

Great Choice! I espcially like this passage for this quotation: "like a man with no head for looking other the edge of a precipice". That's just brilliant. It expressive Curzon's intense inability to confront reality, (the whole picture of war),throughout the novel. I agree with you that this speeks on the intensity of his feelings towards class, but it also seems to inform us on the way he feels,(or wants to feel), about everything

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home